BACHELOR’S DEGREE PROGRAMMES (FIRST CYCLE STUDIES)
Organic Agriculture and Food Production
Faculty of Agriculture and Biology
- Start: 1st October, Duration: 6 semesters
Mission of the Study
The Faculty of Agriculture and Biology has the aim to offer the students a holistic and interdisciplinary knowledge in the area of organic agriculture and food production presented by the best specialists from different faculties of Warsaw University of Life Sciences – SGGW and from abroad.
Aim of the Study
The BSc studies OAFP are constructed according to the expectations of the potential employers within the organic food production. The focus is on the innovative teaching methods activating students and preparing them for the future employment. The studies will offer good possibilities to develop necessary skills and knowledge in desired specialties. The alumni of OAFP can find jobs in the organic food production, processing, trade, also in different companies connected with education, dissemination and advisory services.
A detailed programme of studies
The program is divided into six semesters. It consists of both lectures and practicals /workshops.
The detailed list of subjects is as follows:
- First year: Environment protection, Introduction to organic agriculture and husbandry, Chemistry, Basics of botany, Agrometeorology, Global food production, Informatics, Foreign language, Sustainable food production systems, Sustainable development of rural areas, Agroecology, Soil science, Microbiology of soils and plants, Animal physiology and organic nutrition, Basics of plant biochemistry and physiology, Study trip to organic farms, Food legislation or Agriculture law, Basics of human nutrition.
- Second Year: Cropping systems, Plant breeding and seed materials, Control and certification system of organic production, Plant protection management in organic agriculture, Plant nutrition in organic system, Agricultural technologies for organic farming, Food Microbiology, Organic raw materials, Study trip to organic farms, Organic grassland farming, Organic crops, Weeds and weed management in organic farming, Methodology of scientific research, Livestock production in organic farming, Organic vegetable and fruit production, Hazards for food safety.
- Third year: Diploma seminar, Mathematical statistic, Organization of organic farms or Markets and marketing of organic food, Conversion of the farm into organic system, Processing of organic plant raw materials, Food safety and hygiene, Ecological aspects of food and nutrition, Processing of organic animal raw materials, International agricultural markets, Conversion of the farm into organic system II, Herbs in organic farming, Entrepreneurship in organic business.
Qualification based on:
- the results from secondary school final examination - subjects: biology or chemisty or mathematisc;
- knowledge of English on B2 level or higher.
A number of the places available: 15 to 30.